SBU presents draft version of new Law "On the Security Service of Ukraine" to the President
SBU Head Ivan Bakanov presented draft bill "On the Security Service of Ukraine" to the President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyi.
One and a half month ago Ivan Bakanov in his speech to Verkhovna Rada promised to Peoples’ Deputies and the society to present draft Law "On the Security Service of Ukraine" in shortest possible term, and the deadline was met.
The draft was handed to RNBO (the National Security and Defence Council of Ukraine) and to the National Institute for Strategic studies.
The reform takes into account best European and international practices in security sector.
Legal changes are the important part of the SBU reform, which is expected to transform the agency into a modern, streamlined Service with an optimum number of staff, the one capable to face new challenges and national security threats.
The key objectives of SBU reform are:
- phasing out a number of functions that are irrelevant to the special services, with corresponding increase of counter-intelligence activities;
- introduction of a flexible Service structure; optimisation of the Service staff; demilitarisation;
- raising salaries for the Service staff;
- de-politicization of the SBU command chain;
- improvement of procedures of international cooperation and exchange of information with partner intelligence services;
- development of a system of democratic civilian control over the agency.
Recently the draft Law "On the Security Service of Ukraine” was presented to relevant Parliamentary Committees, to G7 Ambassadors and to top officials of EU Delegation in Ukraine. The draft bill was also presented to the leadership of the NATO Representation to Ukraine and the European Union Advisory Mission on civil security sector reform of Ukraine (EUAM). The international partners welcomed the SBU reform and expressed readiness to continue supporting our country in implementing the reform.
SBU Press Centre
For the Attention of the SBU Head