Central Departments of the Security Service of Ukraine is responsible for national security, coordinates and monitors the activities of the other SSU agencies. Central Departments consist of the administration of the SSU Head and functional units (departments) responsible for:
- the protection of national statehood;
- the counterintelligence protection of the national economy;
- the fight against corruption and organized crime;
- the fight against terrorism
- the protection of participants in criminal proceedings and law enforcement personnel;
- pretrial investigation;
- the protection of state secrets;
- technical operating measures;
- operational documentation;
- organizational, informational and analytical, staffing, legal, administrative, financial and other types of support for the SSU operational activity.
The SSU Central Departments issue provisions, orders, regulations and instructions, provide directions which are mandatory for all units and elements within the system of the Security Service of Ukraine. The said acts are not enforceable if they establish additional powers and authorities of SSU agencies or personnel which are not provided by law or constitute an unconstitutional limitation on the rights and freedoms of citizens.
Within its competence, the SSU Headquarters submits to the President of Ukraine proposals related to the issuance of acts concerning the protection of state secrets. Such acts are mandatory for
all government bodies, institutions, organizations and citizens.
The Head of the Security Service of Ukraine, appointed by the Parliament of Ukraine upon recommendation of the President of Ukraine, manages all the activities of the SSU and its Central Departments. The Head of the Security Service of Ukraine is assisted by deputies, appointed by the President of Ukraine upon his recommendation.
Heads of SSU Central Departments units responsible for the following: counterintelligence, military counterintelligence, the protection of national statehood, the fight against corruption and organized crime, information analysis, technical operating measures, operational documentation, investigation, governmental communications, personnel management, as well as heads of regional SSU agencies in the regions of Ukraine, are appointed by the President of Ukraine upon recommendation of the Head of the SSU.
For the Attention of the SBU Head